75 Hour Art of Kula Style Yoga Teacher Intensive
About the event
$1250 before April 15th // $1400 afterward
Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 6:30pm, Monday - Thursday 9am - 6pm, Friday 9am - 4pm
This intimate training is for teachers who want to better understand the unique alignment-based Kula style of Vinyasa, who seek to hone their skill of giving intelligent hands-on adjustments, or who are simply hoping for inspiration and for feedback on their teaching practice.
What distinguishes Kula-style vinyasa from its brothers and sisters in LA is Wanderlust teachers’ particularly close attention to alignment and detail, coupled with a creative and progressive approach to sequencing. These teaching skills don’t come out of nowhere - they have to be broken down and practiced. They come out of this training.
THIS TEACHER INTENSIVE WILL:
• Help you apply what you already know, as both a teacher and student, in order to lead highly intelligent and creative Kula-style vinyasa classes.
• Deepen your understanding of alignment and anatomy.
• Enhance your current understanding of intelligent yet creative sequencing and your ability to communicate physical and philosophical instruction clearly and concisely. Because there will be a focused emphasis on anatomical awareness from direct experience, expect abundant work on giving hands-on adjustments.
• Touch upon Pranayama, Bandha, Yin & Restorative practices - and their relevant application to flow style classes.
• Provide a platform for you to realize and develop your authentic teaching voice. This includes identifying vocal habits, both good and bad, that you have picked up over years - or decades!
The intention is that all leave inspired and excited by an entirely new set of questions, aspirations and inspirations for their teaching path. Because the path of a good teacher is always the path of a curious student.
• A minimum of 6mos teaching experience is required for participation.
• Due to the intimate nature of this Intensive, participation is capped at 18 people.
• You will be expected to attend a Wanderlust Scheduled Class, an extra 60-90 minutes per day
• You may miss up to 8 hours of this training, if absolutely necessary, but full participation in the first two days is required, and any absences must be pre-approved by Schuyler or Matt.
• If you have questions, do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CANCELLATION POLICY: If you cancel more than 30 days before the start of the program, your payment will be refunded. If you cancel less than 30 days before the start of the program, you will forfeit your entire payment. (In exceptional circumstances, tuition may be applied to another Wanderlust training program, at the discretion of the Center.) Once the program begins the program tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Schuyler Grant, Matt Phippen, & Justine Malick
Schuyler Grant is Wanderlust’s Director of Yoga, Co-Director of Kula Yoga Project and National Director of Yoga for the Wanderlust Festival. "I used to think that yoga was something my parents did to embarrass me in front of my friends in junior high. But 20 years ago, recovering from a back injury, I began practicing asana and discovered something I had been seeking for years: the manifestation of meditation through motion. Over the years, I developed a signature style that integrates the breath based flow of Astanga and the precision of Iyengar into a deep, sweaty and transformative mind/body experience. Opening Kula Yoga Project in 2001 was my attempt to bring a little California vibe to the mean streets of NYC. I am also lucky enough to be the co-creator of this crazy, magical festival – and so grateful to all of you who have made it the most spectacular event imaginable. With this festival, my two studios, and my three daughters, I am in deep need of my yoga practice; it healed my back two decades ago and now keeps my soul intact on a daily basis."
About Matt Phippen: With a variety of formal training, in many disciplines, Matt’s teaching pulls from numerous styles in the Yoga system, and also from the current science in movement. His main influences from Yoga are Schuyler Grant, Carrie Owerko, and Abbie Galvin. He is certified as a Functional Range Conditioning movement specialist (FRC ms), as a Kinstretch teacher, and as a Functional Range Release Practictioner (FR). Blending the old with the new, and combining tradition with the current literature, Matt offers an intelligent and relevant style for students wanting to improve the way they move, and for teachers seeking insight and refinement in the way they teach.
About Justine Malick: Justine is inspired by movement and the body, and her tremendous respect for the body is reflected in her teaching. Justine's first explorations of movement began at a young age - she started walking at 8 months & hasn't really stopped since. She also spent over 10 years as a competitive figure skater. Justine is a 500hr RYT and has completed yoga trainings with YogaWorks and Embodied Flow; she also completed a comprehensive Pilates training through Body Arts Science International (BASI). Justine views movement as medicine and is forever fascinated by the healing and transformative power of working with the body-mind through the blend of these various modalities. In addition to studying Yoga & Pilates, Justine has completed trainings in Deep Bodywork Massage and Resistance Flexibility Strength Training (RFST).